Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hey, What's That Up Your Nose?

When you nurse a baby every 2 hours for about 20 minutes your toddler has that much time to be mischievous.  I try entertaining Ila while I nurse Chessidy, but sometimes it just doesn't work.  I'm thankful that Ila often times entertains herself and stays out of trouble, but what toddler wouldn't pass up 20 minutes of less watchful parenting every once in awhile?

I've decided to keep a journal (in blog form of course) on mischievous-ish things Ila does.  Once Chessidy is old enough I'm sure she'll make the list as well.  So here we are with our first ever "Hey, What's That Up Your Nose?"


Let's start with how I got the name for the blog.  Last week, Ila, after going poo in the potty and requesting a lemon drop sat down to watch a movie while I nursed Chessidy.  Ten minutes into nursing Chessidy, Ila walked up to me saying something about her lemon drop and requesting to blow her nose.  I wasn't sure what she was getting at exactly but her face appeared to be quite sticky and she was asking again and again to blow her nose.  I didn't have anything for her to blow into, so I asked her to wait.  As she stood there, continuing to talk I realized that she had possibly stuck her half gone lemon drop up her nose.  So I did what any mom would do in that situation, I plugged the nostril she was not pointing to and told her to blow (I'll take this opportunity to thank my husband for teaching Ila to blow her nose!).  Sure enough, a lemon drop came shooting out of her nose.  She excitedly ran after it and picked it up, but I stopped her from putting it in her mouth because 1. eww gross and 2. (and more importantly) she needed to know that girls who stick lemon drops up their noses do NOT get rewarded!  I worried that this "put things up my nose" incident wouldn't be the last, but we went the rest of the week and weekend with clear noses.

Today I sat down to nurse Chessidy while Ila watched Monsters Inc.  She was enjoying a nice healthy snack of apple slices.  What happened next may seem like de' ja' vu, because it pretty much was.  Ila walked up to me and talked about her apple and wanted to blow her nose.  So I plugged the nostril and asked her to blow and out shot an apple chunk!  That one shot so fast we didn't see where it landed. I'm sure I'll find it when I clean the floors tomorrow, unless she found it and ate it without my knowledge.



I had a talk with Ila about how we should not put things in our nose, and so did Trent, so here's to hoping she gets the memo!



6 comments:

  1. Don't you wonder what is the thought process that directly precedes putting an item up one's nose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny to me how some kids do this and some kids don't. I'm pretty sure that we parents go through the same things, maybe at different times or on different levels. But I have not had that experience yet. I don't remember being a child that stuck things up my nose. I do remember hearing a story about Trent and a bean. I guess it's like thumb sucking. Some kids do it and some kids don't. Thanks for sharing the stories, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She must have got the bean gene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the bean gene. yep.
    hahaha
    that last picture is the cutest little trenicker that could ever possibly be. chessidy has got to either look just like you or just like trent because ila is the PERFECT combo of both of you!!! well... we'll just wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
  5. or Chessidy looks just like Ila....which is pretty much the consensus in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today at school one of my classmates was telling me he stuck a ton of m&ms up his nose when he was little. His Mom took him to the Dr. ...and the Dr. put him under a heat lamp and let them all melt .... EWWWWW, but genius all at the same time! Too bad lemon drops and apple don't melt.

    ReplyDelete