Wednesday, February 1, 2012

RLW, Change

Today I realized that in May of this year I'll have been a college graduate for 5 years now. That got me thinking HOW MUCH my life has changed in 5 years. Here's a little random list for you, to paint the picture of my life in the last 5 years!

1. I wasn't even dating Trent. I was madly in love with him, we were good friends, but we were certainly not dating! We started dating at the end of February in 2007.
Here Trent and I are, washing the dishes together at a retreat in fall of 2006.

2. I was childless. No Ila, no baby in utero, no miscarriages. Life was still fun, but I didn't know HOW MUCH MORE fun it would be, 5 years later with little Ila running about!

3. I had never lived out of the state of Idaho. I traveled a lot, I studied abroad one summer, but I never had a residence outside of the great state of Idaho. Now I've lived in 2 other states (Louisiana and Washington) and another country (S. Korea).
Here I am, sitting on The Great Wall of China, back in the summer of 2006.
Here are a few of us from Chi Alpha on a mission trip in Japan. I LOVED this outfit, but probably wouldn't wear it now. That was my ALL TIME favorite shirt in college though.

4. My goals in life were to graduate, move to Africa and maybe, just maybe, date that wonderful and handsome Trent Becker. Oh, and to make sure I was on Trent's team in water polo in Friday's swim class. That way I wouldn't have to guard him, or vice versa, because that would make me nervous I'd have to practically hide in a friends armpit!
We did it! we graduated! That's my awesome apartment in the background there.

5. I would do laundry at my best friends house on Wednesday (or was it tuesday?) nights while we ate cookies from the co-op and watched a movie while my roommates had bible study in our apartment. Living in the same town as my BFF was such a treat, one I wish I still had!
One of our more awesome Chi Alphas. 80's night! I still have this outfit in our costume box, in case we get invited to any 80's parties! The lady next to me is my BFF, Kara, who is looking quite stylish if you ask me!

6. I lead bible study, worship and helped plan fun events for Chi Alpha, the Christian group on campus I was super involved with. If I wasn't doing school work, I was doing something for Chi Alpha....or was it the other way around?! I sure was busy, in a completely different way then I am nowadays.
A group of Chi Alpha guys and Kara's 70's surprise birthday party. This was RIGHT before Trent and I started dating.
Here I am at the same party. You can see the look of desire in Trent's eyes. He was like, totally in love with me.


7. I was about 25 pounds lighter (at least, uhg!) took time to do funky things to my hair, wore awesome coats in various colors and had an eyebrow piercing. NO WONDER Trent finally stopped resisting my good looks and charming personality!

8. I could drink beer/wine/alcohol whenever I pleased without worrying about being pregnant, breastfeeding or breaking the law.
My birthday in 2007. We were dating then, and had a nice party with friends, before heading out to a bar to shoot some pool and have a beer!


9. I went to bed late and slept in, and didn't feel guilty about either! I'm thankful that this has changed though, I like having a more normal schedule, although when Ila sleeps in I certainly do too!

It seems as if these changes occurred overnight. I had to think long and hard about life without Ila, and without Trent as my husband. I'm so thankful for the time I had to become the woman I am today, and also for the changes that gave me an amazing and loving husband, a beautiful daughter and another one on the way! Change has given me a lot of chances to grow, to experience a different life and culture (korea and louisiana count here!) and to make the best out of life circumstances! So thanks for the change Lord, I guess change really isn't as bad as people say it is!

so what about you? what has changed in the last 5 yeas of YOUR life?

6 comments:

  1. i've got more gray hairs, i've got more kids, and i've got more brains...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i started a post last year... maybe i'll finish it and you can find out that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. going through my "edit posts" list... aparently i've started SEVERAL drafts like that. i finished the one i was speaking of and posted it a few days ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the past five years, we've been blessed with a daughter-in-law (that's YOU!) that we hadn't even met five years ago! Also a son-in-law, five grandkids (and two in the oven) that we hadn't met yet. How did we ever survive without all these oh-so-important family members? Five years ago, we still owned our Denise houe and were just barely contemplating selling/moving to another place. I had just barely made the transition fromj Case Management to teaching nursing at CSI. Daddy was teaching 5th grade at Lighthouse. WOW! Some drastic changes, eh? THanks for the great pics and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try to think of things that have stayed the same in the past 5 years.

    Well, Bonnie and I are still married. My parents are still alive. I'll celebrate those good things.

    I'm still about the same weight, same height, have the same acute eyesight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's pretend it's Wednesday again!

    ReplyDelete