Friday, June 10, 2011

Let's make some waffles! by Nicole

I like to cook and bake and I spend quite a bit of time it the kitchen. Often when I'm in the kitchen, Ila is playing with her toys or with her daddy, and I find that to be quite convenient. Lately, she has shown an interest in what I'm doing in the kitchen. She comes in and tries to see what I'm doing. She asks for the stool so she can climb up and see the action. She holds onto my leg until I pick her up and show her what I'm doing. She loves seeing things on the stove, but I of course get a little nervous about her getting burned and whatnot.

Last week, I was getting ready to make some waffles for dinner and Ila was in the "follow mommy around the house" mode and I wondered how successful this waffle making would be while she was tugging at my leg. Then I had a brilliant thought (of course, not original, because what mom HASN'T had this thought?!): why not let Ila help me make the waffles? It's one of the few times that she can help me in the kitchen, at her age. No sharp objects or hot pans to worry about, just a mess, and that's nothing that can't be fixed!

So, we got on our aprons (well, Ila borrowed one of mommy's because mommy had not made Ila's yet, which I think I'll try and fit starting today) and got out the stool and started measuring and mixing. Ila LOVED pouring the stuff into the bowl (and licking the spoon). We made a nice mess, but that didn't bother us one little bit. When it was time for the cooking we put the stool
away and Ila had no problem going off to play with her toys. It was a GREAT time in the kitchen with her!

Since then she has helped me make cake for our neighbor. Yesterday, while I was cooking bacon (a rare treat in our house!) she tried pulling her apron off the hook.
She was a bit upset about not being able to help mommy in the kitchen, but seemed to understand when I showed her (from a distance) and explained that mommy was cooking hot things, and that I didn't want her to get hurt!

I am just loving all her new developments. It's great having little eyes around, watching me, learning from me and wanting to be like me. It's fun but also an encourager to make good choices!

4 comments:

  1. You are such an AWESOME mommy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doris! You are such an awesome neighbor and friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love LOVE this blog! Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. be sure to post a picture of her in her apron! that will be super cute!!

    ReplyDelete