Thursday, June 2, 2011

Awesome Fish Tacos by Nicole

This evening I ventured out to make fish tacos. I never have before, because I'm picky about my fish tacos, and I didn't think I could do them justice. Really it's about the sauce that goes on fish tacos that make them so wonderful. There is a special something to fish tacos sauce, and it can be totally amazing or totally disgusting, no in-between.
Well, I saw a sauce somewhere online that looked good, and it advertised being good on fish or chicken tacos. It was also really different then the traditional white tartar like sauce that comes on fish tacos. An idea suddenly came to me: if I made a completely different fish taco sauce, then perhaps I COULD do them justice. So, I used the sauce recipe I saw as my starter for this meal, and here is what it turned into.

Here is what you need:
heavy cream or half and half
mayo or sour cream or plain yogurt
2 habenero peppers
6 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
white fish (4 large pieces of tilapia was enough for the 3 of us)
corn tortillas
shredded cabbage (they packages of shredded cabbage at the store. the also have coleslaw packages, which would work, but I found the cabbage by itself.)
1/4-1/2 onion
1 lime
cumin
chili powder
dried oregano
dried dill
oil



Awesome sauce (I'll tell you how I did it, but also how i'm going to try it next time):
1 c. mayo (next time I'm going to try sour cream or plain yogurt)
1 c. heavy cream (I randomly had this in the fridge, so I used it, but I will certainly use fat free half and half next time)
6 cloves garlic
2/3 bunch fresh cilantro
2 habanero peppers, seeded (don't be stupid and get the seeds out with your thumb like me. My thumb is STILL burning, and I made the sauce 6 hours ago.)
Salt & pepper to taste. I used approximately 1.5 tsp. sea salt and a dash of pepper.

throw it all in a Cuisinart (or blender).

Fish
4 large tilapia fillets (costco's previously frozen are good)
Sprinkle on top of fish:
1.5 tsp cumin (or more!)
1 tsp chili powder (or more!)
some oregano
some dill
squeeze half a lime on fish
drizzle a little bit of olive oil on top.

Stir and cut up the fish while it's cooking. Cook on stove top till done.

how to dress them:
-Heat some corn tortillas up
-put a spoonful of sauce on each tortilla
-add a little bit of tomato based salsa if you want, or pico de gallo
-add raw diced onion
-fresh cilantro
-fish
-cabbage
-fresh lime wedge squeezed over it

ENJOY! we had extra sauce on our plates for dipping. It was delicious!

Oh and just a note, this makes a lot of sauce. we only used half of it. So if you make this for more then 2 people, double the fish and toppings, but not the sauce! It's also a yummy chip dip :)

6 comments:

  1. That sounds so good! We've been eating quite a bit of fish lately, so we'll for sure try this.

    I heard you can substitute evaporated milk for cream. You can keep it in the pantry so it's easier to have it on hand. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard you should scrape the pepper seeds out with your tongue or teeth. You might try that next time and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bonnie- yes you totally can. i have been using evaporated milk to make mac n cheese. It's super easy and delicious. I don't even have to make a rue and it turns out great! Speaking of mac n cheese, i told a sister of ours that i would give her my recipe for that!

    troy- so THAT'S how i should have done it! Well, now i know for next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard for a sinus infection you can rub a habanero pepper on your eyeball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. now we are getting some where. i should do that, right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that 4 cloves of garlic would have been plenty, but I only say that now that I see how many were in there, and that had a pretty garlicky effect. Of course, I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to garlic, it seems.

    Also, after the sauce sat in the fridge for a day or two it got REALLY spicy! So just keep that in mind when you're whipping up a quart of it for later.

    ReplyDelete