Monday, October 10, 2011

Best Chicken Tortilla soup EVER!

My mom and I make delicious Chicken Tortilla soup. People ask for the recipe often, so I figured I should just post it, and then I wont have to type it out anymore! :) It is delicious and tasty, and my favorite chicken tortilla soup ever. It does not have corn or beans in it (which you could add if you really wanted, and it would still be good), which is probably why I love it so much. So, have at it if you'd like :)

In a large soup pot
Saute:
1 onion, chopped in some oil

Add:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. cumin
1 t. oregano
.5-1 t. chili powder
.5 t. pepper

saute till fragrant

Add
1-2 pounds chicken, diced
8 c. chicken broth
14 oz. tomatoes (or more)
1 small can green chilies

Boil till chicken is cooked.

-While boiling slice 10 corn tortillas in .5 inch size strips
-chop a bunch of cilantro
-cut up an avocado or two
-shred some cheese

Add the strips to the soup and stir. Keep boiling, but you can turn it down to med. Cook the soup for another 20-25 minutes. The tortillas will break down and thicken the soup.

5 minutes before you serve the soup, add 1/2 c. cilantro to pot and stir it in.


****When you serve the soup add a dollop of sour cream, some shredded cheese and avocado chunks and more chopped cilantro. You can also crunch up some tortilla chips and sprinkle on top. This is the BEST way to eat this soup, hands down!

It can be a little spicy. If you want more kick, add some crushed red pepper. The sour cream makes it MUCH less spicy. Ila can eat it with no problems at all, so it is kid friendly.


It's also good with bell pepper chopped up and saute with the onion. Don't be afraid to add extra spices either. I usually do :)

Hope you enjoy, I think I'll go make a pot right now, and maybe post some pictures! :)

4 comments:

  1. I just made tortilla soup for dinner tonight! I used a recipe I found online but I wish I would've seen yours. Mine was good but didn't have chili powder, which would have been a great addition. I agree that the best way to eat it is with all the add-ins, including corn and beans. ;) Yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise- Well, NExT time you can make mine :) But really, you dont need the corn.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe! it was a hit tonight (even with the beans ;))!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you enjoyed it! I made it for you one time when we all lived in LA and Troy told me it could do without the chicken....so I hope he liked it too! ;)

    ReplyDelete