Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Smatterings by Nicole

I had several blogs to write, but didn't want to put the energy into making one blog, so I'm going to mix it up and give you part (smatterings) of all the blogs I was thinking about writing. :)

-Have you ever kept track of the amount of calories you put into your body and work out of your body? I never really have, but I am now. I'm learning a lot about myself through it and hoping to shed some unwanted & unnecessary pounds. I can see how people get really obsessed with calorie counting though. I mean, when you write down (in my case, keep track of it in an awesome ipod application) everything you eat, you find yourself writing down a lot, or at least frequently! Doing something so frequently can easily lead to an obsession (or at least something you are passionate about)! Trent and I have been going through it together as well, and today I found myself (after 2 days of this) eating less and making better choices, and working out harder. Trent is an encourager, and I love that about him!

-The other day Ila found a piece of white yarn on the ground and picked it up. Then she started using is as one would use a q-tip to clean out their ears. It was pretty cute and funny, until she tried eating it. Then I thought it was kind of yucky, because it made me think of eating earwax, and we all know (don't we?) how terrible that stuff tastes.

-Trent and I are both pretty tired of teething and we are certain that Ila is SICK of it as well. It really has been a rough couple of weeks (or month) and we are not seeing the fruit of her gums labor yet. She still only has one molar through, and so many on the cusp. We're doing what we can for her discomfort (which is not much) and playing lots in hopes to distract her. She is currently pushing around laundry baskets and a very large Tupperware and making HILARIOUS faces. Now that I watch more closely, it appears as though she is attempting to make a fort, as she is desperately trying to get a large blanket onto the tupperware.

-I've been thinking about cutting down on our cheese intake around here. We all really love cheese and I love to cook things with cheese in it. So, in efforts to cut down on the cheese intake I made all of our meals this week cheese free. It was fun giving myself an extra challenge in meal planning, and so far it's been pretty good. Here are the 5 meals I planned (I usually only plan 5 because we always need a leftover night to make room in the fridge and I don't cook on Sundays).
-Tomato Basil Soup with French bread and salad
I made this last night without the salad and we just ate some regular white bread i made a few days ago. It was tasty, but Trent and I both agreed it would have been AMAZING with some grilled cheese sandwiches and I need to cut down the acid in the soup as well.
-Greek chicken and rice with spinach
Currently in the oven.
-Mulligans Stew
We got half a cow, and we are testing out the stew meat with this one! The ground beef was awesome
-Veg. Spaghetti & French Bread
We love this spaghetti recipe loaded with veggies! Really good with Parmesan cheese on top, but not this week!
-Slow cooker garlic mashed potatoes (without the cheese) Broiled Scallops and a side of broccoli I've been wanting to get scallops for MONTHS and I they FINALLY were on sale, so i got some. Thanks to Yoke's Fresh Market for the awesome sale!

-We got half a cow (actually a steer). It was a 4-H steer of a co-worker of Trent's. If you are going to eat meat, I really think this is the best way to go about getting it! It was really cheap compared to the store and it is so lean and delicious! Plus, we know where it came from.



6 comments:

  1. Yes, home grown beef is so much better than store bought that it shouldn't even be thought of as the same type of meat! Telcia and I are starting a workout schedule, as we both want to get in better shape. We are considering climbing Mt. Borah this summer with the hubbies and this old lady needs to get in shape before doing THAT again!!! Love, Marma

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good! http://thecurrenttroydanielbecker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. bonnie says: good blog! i made tomato basil soup the other day. it was a crock pot meal. it called for roasted tomatoes, which you do yourself in the oven. but you roast the tomatoes with some brown sugar on top. that helps with the acidity, i think. just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome suggestion Bonnie! I also roasted the tomatoes int he oven first, but not with sugar. I will try that next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds good. all of it. we love cheese too... and it DOES make everything better (well, almost everything), but getting used to not as much isn't that bad. because things are pretty good without it too!
    it sounds like we're all on a "let's get healthy!" kick. i hope we all can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, the Greek chicken, spinach rice thing was TERRIBLE! i refused to eat it and didnt serve it to Trent or Ila, but trent tasted it and like it and Ila loved it so at least they are eating it up instead of throwing it out (which i totally would do if were up to me and only me!).

    It was the worst thing I've ever made. At least i can blame it on the recipe, which i actually followed!

    ReplyDelete