Friday, January 6, 2012

Finding what is right for us.

I'm feeling a bit stressed about our baby delivery. We've had a bit of a difficult time finding the right Doctor/Midwife in the past and it seems we are there once again! I've really liked the care we've had at our current OB office, but yesterday we had a nice long chat with the doctor there about delivery and his practices. We left feeling a bit disappointed but totally not surprised about what he said.

We are all about natural birth. We did it with Ila, and we would like to continue that lovely trend. We are totally not against interventions if they are necessary for the safety of baby or me, but we would like those interventions to actually be necessary (read all about Ila's birth if you would like to see what I'm talking about).

When we asked our Dr. yesterday if he would support natural birth he didn't bat an eye before saying "yes, as long as you don't kick me." We laughed about it, but then he went on to say "of course, I may tell you I think you should have an epidural, and if I say that, you need to listen." Then he went on to give us the talk (moms out there probably know what I'm talking about) about how he is the doctor and needs to make the calls, and we need to listen to him, even if it's against our birth plan. Now I'm well aware that the doctor has a lot more education, experience and knowledge then I do, but I sure don't like being told that what I think does not matter (but at least he did it in a nice way!).

I don't want to communicate that I dislike this doctor now. He is fine. Trent and I were just hoping to have a doctor who would support, even be excited about assisting us in a natural birth. I know it's a long shot, but there are doctors out there who do (I've even met one, and would totally go to her if I lived in Boise!). The appointment yesterday was just eye opening for us, and has reminded us that exploring other options would be best. So, the search begins (again, for what feels like the 100 time) for a CNM or Doctor who will support us!

I made an appointment to meet a Certified Nurse Midwife who delivers at a hospital in Kennewick, and I'm looking into midwives who do home births. We currently have no idea which way we will go, but we'll make a decision soon enough. We may stick with this doctor, and just fight for what we want, and pray for the best. Or we may switch to the CNM who delivers at the hospital or we may go in the direction of a home birth. There isn't a birth center in our area, and that is a bummer because I think that would be a great option.

The best part of this all is that we may not even live here when the baby is born. We're praying for a job to work out SOON for Trent, and we need it too, so it will....right?! That job may not be around here, so we might get to do it all over again. But for now I'm going to act like we will be here, and trust that it will all work out!

When it's all said and done, we want a healthy baby and a healthy me. Having a nice birth experience to go along with it would be a great blessing, and one I hope we get! Oh, and I hope we make it to the hospital (or the midwife makes it to us) in time. Trent has researched what he should do if he has to deliver the baby though, and feels confident he could do it just fine. I just hope that doesn't happen on the side of the road!

7 comments:

  1. Have you considered Prosser Hospital? Dr. Lasalle was my doctor and he was totally amazing and just incredibly experienced. I told him I didn't want an epidural and he never, ever pressured me. Plus, then you could just drop Ila off at our house and then the hospital would be two minutes away! Just a thought ... no pressure at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about it some. I met Dr. Lasalle when I was in the ER in April. He took great care of me. Maybe I should look into that...it IS the closest hospital to us. Okay, I'll give him a call, especially if he didn't pressure you into an epidural. That's a good sign :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My OB that was amazing is inBoise, I ve yet to find another I like as well and its been 6 years. I hope you find one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only reason a dr. should or would ever need to pressure for an epidural is if you're getting a c-section. it's YOUR pain you're dealing with not theirs (unless it's a c-section).
    i know a midwife in washington, i'll see if i can contact her and get a referral of someone in your area. it makes me angry to hear of dr's that use their title as the authority of the birth... it's so unnecessary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for changing to a practitioner who won't try to pressure you into birthing HIS way! As easy as you delivered Ila, it is possible you could do just fine with a home birth, if you could find a good CNM in your area (or wherever you happen to be in April!) I'll just keep praying for God to take care of all the details, and I'm trusting He'll answer that prayer! lylyly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mamat and Marma! I have an appointment next week with a different Doctor, and one with a CNA at the end of the month, so we'll hopefully find one that will support us! :D

    ReplyDelete