Wednesday, January 25, 2012

RLW. Thoughts for a sunny winter day.

RLW this week brings you a list of random thoughts and updates from yours truly.

1. Does anyone else wish that during the State of the Union address, the President would give his speech without all the clapping? I wanted to watch it last night (and I did watch some of it) but when I asked Trent if he wanted to he responded "it's just a bunch of clapping." Ila sat down and watched about 10 minutes of it and was actually entertained because when the people started clapping, she clapped too and thought it was some fun game. I wonder if it's always been that way...with the clapping.

2. It's been a sad week in our house. My friend (Sara) and roommate of 2 years in college lost her mom this week. I knew Jan (the mom) really well as I spent many summer nights at her house. She was an incredible woman and only one year older then Trent's dad, so it's been a pretty sad and emotional time in my life. My heart is absolutely broken for Sara. She really was best friends with her mom, and I know this is just an incredibly sad time for her. It's also been a reminder about spending time with loved ones.

3. Ila has been talking so much lately. It's exciting and cute and frustrating and all those things. She can get a little frustrated about us not understanding her, but she doesn't make too much of a fuss over it, which is really nice. She is generally easy to please, so I think if she is asking for one thing, and we can't figure it out, she just settles for one of the things we've asked about (or maybe we're getting her babbled requests right?!!??!).

4. Job and living place and everything like that are still a bit up in the air. It's been a good time of thinking about what we really want out of life, and then realization of what is currently possible. Some things can really hold you back from living where you want, and how you want and that's been pretty difficult to figure out these last few weeks. It's not really about what we want either, but where and how we feel led to live. But the Lord is directing our steps, and we'll figure it out soon enough....right?!




9 comments:

  1. 1. Too much clapping, but what I wondered was why did I keep hearing a harmonica or harmonicas.
    2. Sorry for the loss but celebrating the life and love.
    3. Let's skype and hear Ila-speak!
    4. I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. i missed the harmonica. I also wondered why they kept showing John McCain and his sour face.
    2. thanks troy!
    3. okay, we shall, but not tonight, we have a church meeting
    4. yeah, i knew you would :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I googled and found out that I wasn't the only one hearing a "funny noise during the applause.... But no explanation yet....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never watch it. i think it's incredibly long and boring... but if they held their applause 'till the end, it probably would help. tremendously. and then 2.) i'm sorry... what was the cause? was it sudden?
    ila's cute. we're praying for you four.

    ReplyDelete
  5. apparently Trent heard it too. He described it as a muffled fog horn or harmonica sound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed at John McCain's sour face. He must not have realized that they would focus in on him time and time again.

    Death is a celebration. A time to remember a loving person and feel overjoyed for them and their journey beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mamat. It was pretty sudden. No cancer, or heart attack or anything like that. She had epilepsy, and was a smoker and had a bit of a weak heart, but last week she went into the hospital for a UTI and some medication problems (meds. were making her hallucinate) and then on Monday she was gone.
    Bonnie, yeah, his face was pretty great.
    I like what you said about death, because it is indeed a celebration. It is also a time of sorrow and mourning though, which is where I am right now. I am very comforted knowing that Jan is dancing with Jesus now though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't listen to the state of the Union. It frustrates me to listen to the chief executive of our country because I have no respect for him or most of what he stands for. It makes me angry when I hear him saying things that tickle our ears with what we want to hear, because I am well aware of what the Bible says about that (II Tim. 4:3)
    I'm so sorry about your friend's loss, and about the grief you are experiencing through Sara. Those who love in a big way grieve in a big way when losses occur. We can only hang onto our sweet memories and cling to the confidence that this life is not all there is. In fact, this life is just a shred of what God has in store for us! It is okay to grieve, in fact, it's healthy to embrace the pain. It is a reminder that we've loved well!
    I miss you guys so much! I wish we could hear sweet Ila's voice. I harken back to the Christmas break when she walked around stating words here and there, many of them not being understood by anyone but that's okay with her! She's certainly a sweetie!!!
    I pray for you guys every day (multiple times!). . . for God's Will in your lives. The job, your home, the doctor, the birthing place, etc. His Will be done! Amen! lylyly

    ReplyDelete