Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Almost effortless mac n' cheese. By Nicole

That's right, you heard it here, a macaroni and cheese dish made from scratch, that is almost as easy, and much tastier, then boxed mac n cheese (not that I don't like that stuff, because I really do have a weakness for it). What is nice about this mac n cheese recipe is that you don't have to make a roux, which can be difficult to get right. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

First:
-Put a pot of water on to boil.

Second:
-grate 2-3 cups of the cheese of your choice (I like monteray jack, or colby jack. Sharp cheddar is good too, but I find it a bit bitey (that sharp sensation in your jaw) for my taste)

Third:
-Get some macaroni cooking (if your water is ready of course). Shells, elbow, spiral or some shape you like. I would steer clear from the long, skinny pastas though.
Okay, now that you have got that going, get a pot out and put in the following:
(this is the part where I admit that I don't measure how much of each thing I put in, but I'll give you a ball park idea. You don't need to measure it either, just dump it in!)
-oregano (1-1.5 t.)
-garlic salt (1 t.)
-celery salt(.5 t.)
-paprika (.25-.5t.)
-pepper (white or black, or a mix, .5 t.)
-2 T. cornstarch (I measure that one, and I suggest you do the same)
-1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
-2ish T. butter

-start stirring right when you turn the heat on (and make sure your cornstarch doesn't lump up. If it does, smash each lump between your stirring device and the side of the pot).
-Stir it till it boils, and it should be kind of thick.
-once it boils, take it off the heat and add grated cheese. Stir till it is a nice cheese sauce.
-by now your pasta should be done, drain it and add to the sauce.
-stir it up.

Now you have 2 options. You can eat it just like that, and it is creamy and delicious! Or you can pop it in the oven, covered with more cheese and bake it. I can't honestly say that baking it makes it better, because we are always ready to eat once it's done (i mean I make while we are all hungry and waiting for lunch/dinner, so why would I take that extra 20-25 minute step?!). But it is probably tasty and has a nice crispness to it. So, if you have the time/desire to go the extra mile, pop it in the oven @ 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. mmmm, sounds good. you know what you could do to get that yummy baked goodness without the time?? stick it under the broiler! it'll brown up the top all yummy without the extra time. :) not a huge Rachael Ray fan, but that is one handy thing i learned from her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that is a GREAT idea! Thanks Grace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole! I made this recipe last week for lunch. It was yummy! I topped it with bread crumbs and grated cheese and broiled it. Delish!

    ReplyDelete