Sunday, July 17, 2011

Neighbors. by Nicole

I've always been bless with awesome neighbors who were willing to share enough of their lives with me that I never felt like I was living next to strangers (which exception to S. Korea, and I'm going to chalk that up to the language barrier). I don't think I've ever taken my relationship with my neighbors for granted but I've never thought much about how great it is to know them!

Now that we live in such a remote area, I have really begun to understand just how important our neighbors are. The Lord has blessed us SO MUCH with our current neighbors, who happen to be our landlords as well. When Trent got his job, housing was provided. At first the farm didn't know where they would put us, since all the houses were full on the farm. I was a bit concerned about that as they tried to figure out where we would be living, as Trent and I packed up our belongings. When they called and told us they had found a place about 8 miles from the farm, on a neighboring ranch, I was relieved and nervous all at the same time. Those feelings didn't last long though, because the first time I met Doris and she invited us to church I felt super comfortable with the living arraignments. As we've gotten to know Doris and her husband Gary, and her son Eric (who is our other neighbor) & his wife (as of yesterday) Becky and Doris's daughter Annie (who is great, but lives in Pittsburgh!) we've kept on feeling blessed. They are amazing people.

Now that we have been here for 9 months (I know, the time has flown by!) I have really gotten to know my neighbors and they are amazing. I continually thank God for bringing us not just to Mercer, but to the McBride Ranch. They invited us to spend Thanksgiving with them, when they found out we didn't have plans. They have welcomed us into their home again and again for meals, good conversation and wedding planning fun. I've went to a bridal shower and we went to Eric's wedding yesterday. Doris has watch Ila for us, and she was such a support to me during the miscarriage back in April. Every time I spend time with the Hess family I walk away feeling loved and cared for. I have to mention here that Doris is also THE hardest working woman I know! It's so nice having neighbors that are friends, and we are so thankful that it's worked out that way.

These sort of things don't just happen though. You've got to be willing to put in the effort of getting to know people. I know that back in the day every one knew their neighbors, and you could borrow a cup of sugar or an egg, or ask them to watch your kids for 5 minutes while you did this or that. These days are not so much like that, as least not in the city. I know so many people who have no idea who their neighbors are, and I find that a bit sad. I realize that not all neighbor situations are not like ours. Not only do you have to try to get to know your neighbors, but they have to be willing to get to know you as well, if you are going to get anywhere. The only way to figure out if you have social/relational neighbors is to introduce yourself to them and show interest in them. Something that I continue to learn is that it is MUCH better to know something for sure (even if it is unpleasant like your neighbors wanting nothing to do with you, or that someone does not like you etc.) then to assume that something is a certain way.

I would like to encourage you to be a neighbor who cares and NOT to be the neighbor that wants nothing to do with your neighbors. What a blessing you may be to your neighbor if you access the friendly communal part of you.

Speaking of communal, stay tuned for my next blog, which will be about COMMUNITY.

(make sure you click on the "neighbor who cares" link for a special treat!)


1 comment:

  1. well, i guess i never got around to blogging about community.

    ReplyDelete